HER DIARY

HER DIARY

It was leaning by my gate. It was as if someone had intentionally placed it there to be recognised. It is black, and it's owner is not here. I walked passed it even though my curiosity was just above sea level, but the only thing in my mind now is how good my bed makes me feel. I need alot of rest after walking to and fro these mountanious surrounding. At a point I was wandering how the Sai (safa Wal marwah) will be like, I chose to work here because of the weather, forgetting most of my work had to do with walking up and down these hills. I always console myself with the fact that it is an exercise.

Bag to the couch, one shoe at the gate, the other under the bed, trousers on the gate, shirt in the couch, watch and phone on the center table and the body straight to the bed. It is 4:45pm, I can have a nap before Magrib. It is past working hours and I don't expect any disturbing calls, though you cannot predict Mama, I hope she calls after Isha, so that I can pretend am also having a free night call, it is not easy being a bachelor.

Astagfirullah, Astagfirullah, subhaanallahi wabihamdik....., Dhikr after Magrib is always a battle for my thoughts. This is the same moment I decide between Hajia Zalia's chop bar and Edem kenkey boutique, sometimes 'In Him is Light' fried rice joins in the confusion. Usually I make the final decision on my way there, which is highly influenced by the Aroma of other foods on the walkway.

I checked to see if it is still lying there, and there it was, looking back at me with two back pockets. I again ignored it to find something for my belly. Just as I predicted, Edem kenkey won my evening budget. Considering how little my lunch was, fried rice and TZ is a risk I cannot take, maybe 2balls of kenkey will do the magic. How impatient I was to get home after buying my portion, I do not need to explain.

I paused to look around, I am actually wondering why someone will place this at my entrance, it is almost 7pm. Let me take it inside, in case the person comes around, then I will give it out. You cannot trust the boys in this locality these days.

It is lighter than I thought, why is there nothing in it? Anyway my kenkey is getting cold. I placed it just behind my gate so that it doesn't get mixed up with this messed up room.
Back to my kenkey, and it took less than 15mins and all I can see in the black rubber is the leaves. I know I am not a fast eater, so the kenkey was too small I guess, maybe we could do 3 next time.

Is been a week already and I take a 2second glimpse at this thing every morning before leaving for work.
Ok, now my curiosity is growing bigger, but I was hoping the owner will knock on my door one of these days, this one is certainly for a lady, has she given up on searching already or she is in need of it no more. Maybe I can find something that belongs to the owner in it, something like a contact or an identity card of her school or work place. Let's do that after work, for now let me massage my legs for the hills.

Back home and tired as usual, but that thing at the corner is eyeing me, it has given me 5winks already, it is calling me, it says I should open it, I am curious.
I jumped out of the bed and grabbed it, it was a black school bag with two back pockets, a zip on the other side and a zip in the middle. Telling from it's weight, I believe all in it will be in the bigger zip in the middle, so I went for that one first.

I dipped my hand and the first thing I grabbed was a book, I flipped through it and it had dated write ups, it also have some patterns drawn in them with writings that looked like it was coded, maybe I have to take time and read it, but is that even why I am here? I am here to find an identification for the owner of this bag. I reached into it again and it seems I am getting the last thing out, my hand found only that without feeling any other thing around it.
I immediately pulled it out, and it was a black purse, I quickly opened it and I found series of papers, two cards which I pulled out at sight, unfortunately they were ATM cards, they had her name on it, and some numbers. I continued my search and I found a pen, and the transparent part of the purse had a grided picture, it was her childhood picture and her current picture if I am right. The picture got me to smile, this is first look, am I allowed to look at it for the second time, or is that one too from shaitaan, the scholars will take care of that.

She looked very cute in her hijab, black hijab, this girl must love black, black bag, black purse, black hijab, I love black too, I even love my black trousers the most.

It looks nice on her, considering her light coloured skin. Since when did I become a comparative analyst? The flat pocket attached to one of the sides has her national health insurance card, name, date of birth, membership number, date of issue, sex and expiry date. It does not even have her District on it, does this suggest I own it all now? and I can do whatever I want with it, maybe the book will have details, something like "kindly call this number if found". I have to read it all now, the situation calls for it.

Page1- 03.07.2003

"Dear self,
I love you just like I love black."

With this I took a second look at the picture. This is going to be juicy, I guessed right, she loves black and I love black. It seems my black bag is my favorite, yes, and my black shoe too.
I think I am hallucinating right now, or shaitaan is whispering too  much into my ears. A good night sleep will do. In shaa Allah, we continue tomorrow.

End of part One.

Your sister
Nuhu Alimatu Sadia
Ummi.ug@gmail.com
Ummuabuuha.blogspot.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NSS Personnel, We want to serve our Country, but we are tired.

A LIFE IS LOST, WHEN OUR TRIBESMEN MARRY FROM AMONGST THEM.

THEY CALL ME KAYAYO; MY NAME IS MARWAH