HER DIARY ; CHAPTER TWO

....Dear diary, I love myself like I love black.  Diary, I love to write than to talk. I am going to lock my memories with you, please listen to me even if you are not interested, please do not be like the people I have come across, and also do not take my memories to others, they are a cherished treasure.
First, I will tell you about the Hero of my Life. I will tell you about the reason behind my strength and I will tell you about the saver of my life. I will tell you about Maama. You see my Maama was a very disciplined woman. Maama was told to make sure she looks presentable anytime she goes out of the house, and can you believe Maama wore "Kaba and skirt" along with it's wrapper and its "Diku" with a big veil only to fetch water. Maama will put on her "Lelle" back anytime it gets wiped off or begins to fade, because Maama was told to always look as beautiful as a bride for Paa. Maama is 33, but she looks 40. The weight of the pot of water everyday has given her folds on her forehead. But Maama's dimple is deep, her smile is contagious and her cheeks will never stop reflecting the rays of the sun. What I used to see in Maama, I have never seen in any other person. I saw something par beauty in Maama. There was a hidden light in the eyes of Maama.
Every morning with Maama was history to be noted. Mornings of chasing and Evenings of stories.  I remember one morning when Maama told us to hurry to school, and that it is almost 8, only for us to get to school and it is 6:45, she only wanted to get us out of the house, and that was a clever move.
There was this evening my siblings and I were fighting over supper. Maama only went behind us, and lifted the food, put us in the room and we cried ourselves to sleep. That was the last time we fought of over food. You see, Maama had wisdom.
But one day I woke up and there was no hot water, the Verandah was not swept and the lights were still on. Maama was still on bed.
She complained of lower abdominal pain and that she cannot bend to sweep nor wash bowls. I took the day off school and helped her out with the chores as well as nurse her. Maama was very pleased and forced through her pain one of her most beautiful smiles to my pleasure.  I served her meals, throughout the day until Paa and the kids came home. Paa had returned from his travel to take care of his queen. Paa still have the pain of his younger sister who died of some herbal concoctions during their childhood and so he always opt for the hospital if it has to do with an ailment.
Paa returned home alone and little kauthar asked, 'where is Maama? Paa, when are you going back to bring Maama? She did not even finish her supper Paa'. He ignored her, brushed his hands through her hair and walked outside to get some fresh air.
Resting in the couch I knew Maama was admitted. Paa called me from outside and said, ' Maama is going to spend some days in the hospital, I hope you will be a little Maama to the kids for the time being. Let us hope she comes home soon, but if there is any new thing, I will let you know'.  I already knew I will have to play the role of little Maama, but what I did not know now is what is wrong with Maama. I will not tense the situation tonight, let us sleep and wake up to a fresh breeze with praises on our lips to the giver of good health, after which I will ask more about Maama".
Here I was, thinking I had found a romantic diary. I guessed I did too much assumptions. I am just on page two and I think this is a tearing novel. I don't want to tear, but something in me wants to know this girl more. Maybe along the story she will mention where they stay and the school she attend so that I will find her and give her bag back to her. Nevertheless, I have to complete these chapters to know everything. Today is a weekend and I am booking a date with this book.
Why do people keep deceiving themselves with light foods for breakfast.  Until I talk a heavy meal,  I do not say I have taken breakfast. Now that I am done with my version of breakfast,  let me get back to my date. I cannot wait to flip to page 3.
"After sorting all the kids out with their breakfast and uniforms, I have to get breakfast to Maama in the hospital before the visiting hours is over. Maama looked at me as if she was scared after closing her eyes she will not be able to open them again. I held her hands as if I was memorizing how it feels so that I can reminisce over it to put myself to sleep at night. She said 'baby the doctor has not said anything yet, but I feel better now',  which was clearly not the situation I was seeing. She tried getting up to sit so we can have a good chat, but that took us more time than it usually does. We have to support her back with pillows as a comfortable back rest.  Maama told me a lot about being a woman and she told me more about she and Paa. She seems to have a different chapters of their story growing up and coming together.  I love listening to them because they have a tune, and if I am to caption it, I will call it 'Patience and dedication'.  Maama and Paa had an incredible story and it is one of the reasons why I am not giving up on life.  I have been playing Little Maama for the past 3months, I cannot concentrate on my studies, and Maama is still in the hospital, Paa had to leave in search of money. Daily admission charges, drugs, and series of test is draining everything out of Paa. He left a month ago and still not back. The money he left with us cannot take us any longer than just some few more days. 'When is Paa coming back?' little kauthar asked. 'And sister what are you always writing?' , they are stories dear,  stories I will give you to read when you grow just a little taller than you are now,  'yeah yeah yeah,   sister what food should I eat to grow tall?, just what is served at the table dear. 'OK,  I am going to eat all and grow tall tomorrow so that I can read the story'. And with this she run to where the food is being served. 
It has been a long day and I am very tired, a word of prayer for Maama, I heart of hope for Paa to return and a goodnight kiss to little Kauthar. Goodnight Diary. Thank you for listening without interrupting. I love you like I love myself and black."
End of Chapter 2
Your sister,
Nuhu Alimatu Sadia
Ummuabuuha.blogspot.com
Ummi.ug@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NSS Personnel, We want to serve our Country, but we are tired.

A LIFE IS LOST, WHEN OUR TRIBESMEN MARRY FROM AMONGST THEM.

THEY CALL ME KAYAYO; MY NAME IS MARWAH