THERE IS LIFE AFTER HIV-A Story from Us

I came here as a volunteer and I came with very wiered ideologies, and a lot of misconceptions,  it is probably one of the reasons why I volunteered. I need a change of mind and I need a new environment to do so. I must see new things, I must hear new things and I must experience something outside the norm.

The truth is, you do not usually see HIV positive people in my country,  and even if there are, it will be in their own interest not to speak up about it.  It must be a secret between they and their health professional, otherwise they face the ugliest stigma of their lives. Their society and friends are the least they would be worried about because their family are going to champion this stigma. Spreading their issue throughout the society and tagging them with all sort of names and attributes.
In the worst case scenario,  Leaving the community to lead an isolated lonely life is always their best option and the next thing you hear about is their death. Why we are like this towards them,  is still a questions I might find an answer to later in life.

Our programs coordinator is HIV positive and some of the volunteers also are, they will all tell their stories before this summit ends, and I am looking forward to amazing, life transforming, and thought provoking narrations.

If not the whole of my country,  at least I should go back to my community as a change maker,  I am sure that is one of the leading objectives of this summit.  Until we change our mindset about HIV,  we will never change our approach towards it and to people with HIV.

After all formalities are met and our welcome address being read,  it is time to share our experiences. My long awaited time.

" I found out I had HIV when I was pregnant.  You can imagine the type of shock I was in,  not only me,  but my unborn child might suffer this plight too. I could not tell my friends, I could not tell my parents, nor could I tell my husband. There were two things I was very sure about at that time and it was -to get my husband tested as well and to find the best medication so my daughter does not become a victim of our carelessness. I managed to gather some courage and told my husband,  he was not shocked at all, and that is when I realised he knew he had HIV.  He told me not to be worried and that there is medication to keep me alive and also protect me from falling into the dangerous stage.  I got broken, it was painful, no words could come out from my mouth for I couldn't see in him the man I married. How could he be this heartless towards me. I packed some few clothes of mine and walked out, 'I need to save my child' was the only phrase re-echoing in my mind. I went to the hospital and the doctor put me on medication. I was very serious about it because this is not about me alone, this is for my child,  she must be born, alive, and HIV negative. For the whole period of my pregnancy, that was my goal in life. I followed my medication very well and here I am today,  my daughter is 2years old now, HIV negative, and I am healthy as everyone here. HIV is not a death sentence and I have taken up the mantle to campaign against 'stigma on HIV patients' as well as advocate for early HIV testing. My name is Dorothy from Cameroon and this is my story".

That posture our father's hate the most was what I was in as I listened to stories after stories, I sat there with my palms supporting my cheeks and my thigh supporting my elbow.
Another story that got my attention was the story of Ougemugue from Nigeria. His Nigerian tonation and deep voice gave a new spice to his story.

"Mine is very simple. I am a church goer and I wish to be a pastor one of these days. I love to dress very simple and love to walk around with slippers. I love that feeling when I look down to my feet and see my white nails, whitter than my teeth. White, neat and clean,  that is how I love to always see my nails and that is what caused my HIV contraction.  I usually employ the services of these 'abochi' guys to help me cut my nails.  I had always known it to be a very risky thing to do, but fine boy, I am lazy.  I was sitting by the roadside when I called him to help me cut my nails. He did his job and I continued my chat with my friends. We heard a very loud horning from one of these cement cars which got us all startled. We least expected it and after the car passed by,  I realised this 'abochi' guy has stopped cutting my nails and is looking at me,  I still had not seen or felt what had happened. I looked down at my feet hoping to see my bright nails done  before I give him his money and what I saw was not white at all,  it was red and it was not any red but blood red,  my blood red!. I got very angry but he tried explaining  the fact that it was the horning of the vehicle that got him startled too,  I had no option than to let him go,  it is just a minor cut I will be fine so I let him go. A month later i had a,chronic diarrhoea, accompanied by it was nausea and an unusual fatigue. I went to the hospital and whiles waiting for the doctor, a nurse came to talk to us about HIV and that the earlier it is detected, the better and the longer the person can live. I am having a platonic relationship and i here for diarrhoea, so I really do not see the reason why i should test for HIV. She explained how necessary it is to know and be confident you do not have it. And it can only be so after testing. I tested and i was positive, i told the nurse to read the thing well because i am a virgin and i don't see how i can be HIV positive. She saw how nervous I was getting and sat me down in an office close by,  we talked about the various ways of acquiring HIV, here she mentioned sharp objects cutting an HIV positive patient and cutting you as well,  she also mentioned how a pregnant mother can transfer the virus to her unborn child and many more. We also talked about me being an advocate. She said,  a lot of people are positive but because we only think that HIV is transmitted through unprotected sex,  we believe we are safe,  but the truth is until you get tested, you never know for sure that you are positive or negative.  I will end my story here and urge each and everyone of us who is yet to get tested,  to try and do so as early as possible. My life has been better after I found out and yours can be as well.  HIV is not a death sentence,  we will live and not die."

He is done already and I am still looking at him, he looked back and I quickly looked down. So much I am learning,  I have to get tested too even though I am not a virgin, bad boy, I whispered to myself and smiled. Not only a change of concept do my people need,  but I change of attitude and besides,  how do I even go about this new message of HIV testing.  Maybe I should get some educated members and we start a serious campaign about HIV testing.  We learn about it and talk to our mother's and fathers about it's danger,  especially when a pregnant mother doesn't know she is HIV positive.
How do we beautify life after HIV testing to them,  good if a person is tested negative,  we only have to educate such on safety methods and a healthy life.  But what if one is tested positive, the emotional breakdown,  the fear and the mockery,  that will require us to devise a plan for those tested positive,  before they detest others from testing.  There is so much work to be done and after I leave here,  I am first testing, after which I will start a massive advertising on testing.  These people are leading a normal life and I believe there is life after HIV testing,  there is life after testing positive for HIV and there is confidence after testing negative. I am starting with you,  get tested even if you are a virgin,  so many activities we undertake through which we can acquire HIV.  Be bold, and Get tested today.

Your sister, 
Nuhu Alimatu Sadia
Ummuabuuha.blogspot.com
ummi.ug@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NSS Personnel, We want to serve our Country, but we are tired.

A LIFE IS LOST, WHEN OUR TRIBESMEN MARRY FROM AMONGST THEM.

THEY CALL ME KAYAYO; MY NAME IS MARWAH